Google Remarketing, how to set it up

Remarketing uses a few lines of code from when an individual visits your website and drops an anonymous cookie in the user’s browser. This targets advertisements to consumers who first visited your site or clicked through your ad but did not make a purchase.

On average only 2% of website visitors will convert once they click through to your site for the first time. This can mean that remarketing is vital in attempting to convert the remaining 98% of potential customers.

Google AdWords offers a variety of different techniques that aim to place your brand in front of previous visitors, including Video, Dynamic and Search & Display remarketing.

Google Adwords Setup

If you’re already advertising on google, then you’ll only need to add a piece of remarketing code known as a pixel or tag to your website so that your cookies can sort visitors into remarketing audiences.

It’s beneficial to be specific in your remarketing audiences and to target those individuals with tailored ads depending on the page they visited. This could mean retargeting them with a specific product that they have viewed previously. Combining this personalisation with a linked discount (ie. free shipping) can greatly increase click-through-rates and conversions.

Google will can advertise these remarketing campaigns across a large number of partner companies and its own network. This will enable you choose specific sites or areas of interest to retarget people.

1. To get started, make sure that retargeting is turned on in Google Analytics.

Go to Admin > Tracking Info > Data Collection and turn it on.

Analytics Turn On Remarketing

2. Then link your Google Analytics account to your Google Adwords account.

Go to Admin > Google Ads Linking and then link the relevant account.

3. Create an audience.

Go to Admin > Audience Definitions > Audiences.

The first audience will be set up by Google automatically.

Then, click +New Audience and define your audience from the list below.

Audience list definition

Smart List – Individuals who Google determines are most likely to convert from remarketing campaigns. Especially useful if you have large audience lists that you want to be sorted automatically.

New Users – Individuals who have only visited your website once before. Great way to segregate prospective customers from those already on the path to conversion.

Returning Users – Users who have conducted multiple sessions on your website or app before. Useful to target those who aware of your brand, but have not yet made a purchase.

Users who have visited a specific section of my site – Users who have visited a specific page and can be targeted via the url that they landed on. With this option, you can create AND / OR statements where users will need to land on more than one page or could land on either page to be added to the list.

Users who have completed a goal conversion – Target users who have completed a micro-goal such as an email registration or contact form.

Users who completed a transaction – Requires eCommerce tracking to be set up, but will track specific purchases made by visitors. Particularly useful for upselling following a purchase.

*Membership duration indicates how long a user remains in the audience for and can be keep your audience list up-to-date and relevant*

4. Then link the audience to your Google Adwords account via the ID number

5. Create a Google Adwords Campaign

Choose a campaign type

Campaign Type

Choose a goal – This will help Google to optimise your ads for your intended purpose.

Add a Campaign Name

Choose the location – Can be specific countries or people within a targeted area. Can also exclude areas

Languages – Which language the user speaks

Bidding – How Google will bid for the placement of your ads

Budget – The maximum you’re willing to spend daily

6. Create the Ad Group

Adwords Audience

Choose ‘how they interacted with your business’ and click on the relevant audience group that you defined earlier.

*It can take up to 24 hours for your lists to move from Analytics to Adwords so the audience might not yet appear*

Add demographic options if you want to segregate your pre-defined audience from earlier even further with age, gender, parental status and household income if relevant.

7. Create the Ad

Depending on the ad you first selected to run, there will be different methods for approaching this. However, using the responsive display ad feature in Google Adwords you will be able to create a native looking ad using your text and or images.

8. Run the Campaign

Now that’s the hard work done and you’re to click go and see what results your campaign can bring in. To improve your results make sure that you run multiple ads and A/B test which ones work most effectively to achieve your marketing goal.

Your Video Marketing Strategy